Real Estate Brokers Online Review
» Real Estate Exam Online Review Classes - click here for details...
» Real Estate Exam Online Review Members' Area - click here to LOGIN

RESA Law IRR and CPE Requirement for Salespersons

Some people are asking about the number of CPE credit units that real estate salespersons have to earn, based on the RESA Law IRR (RA 9646). The answer depends on your qualifications as a real estate salesperson…

According to first part of Section 31 of the RESA Law IRR:

SEC. 31. Supervision of Real Estate Salespersons. For real estate salespersons, no examination shall be given, but they shall be accredited by the Board, provided that they have completed at least two (2) years of college and have undergone training and seminars of at least twelve (12) credit units in real estate brokerage.

So, if you have completed at least two years of college, you will need to earn 12 credit units in real estate brokerage.

Please take note, however, that not all of the units earned in various real estate CPE seminars are about real estate brokerage.

There are some CPE seminars whose coverage includes 2 units of Photoshop or Computer Design. So if you join only the first day of a two-day CPE seminar, and if that first day includes 2 units of Photoshop, then you haven’t really earned 12 credit units in “real estate brokerage.”

Now let’s move on to the next part of Section 31 of the RESA Law IRR (RA 9646):

Those salespersons who are registered with the DTI/HLURB or other salespersons who are in the active practice for at least three (3) years, as may be certified by a licensed broker or a real estate developer, prior to the effectivity of R.A. No. 9646 may also be accredited by the Board until 30 July 2011. Provided, further, That in both cases, such Real Estate Salespersons must have undergone at least one hundred twenty (120) training hours in real estate brokerage, and have submitted original NSO certificate of live birth/birth certificate, NBI clearance, certificate of educational attainment or its equivalent, notarized certificate of training or seminar and notarized certificate of their supervising licensed brokers, as may be required by the Board.

Notice that we’re no longer talking about educational attainment in this part. We’re now focused on DTI/HLURB registration, and three-year real estate work experience certification by your real estate property developer or licensed real estate broker.

In this case, the real estate brokerage training is 120 training hours in real estate brokerage.

We need clarification, though, from the PRC:

  • What do they mean by 12 credit units?
  • What do they mean by 120 training hours?
  • What do they mean by real estate brokerage?

In real estate brokers’ licensure exams prior to the passage of the RESA Law (RA 9646), “real estate brokerage” was just one of many topics that real estate brokers had to master.

In some CPE seminars, however, brokers are taught how to plot properties with the help of a computer. Strictly speaking, that topic is no longer part of “real estate brokerage.”

If you become quite strict with the definition, however, it boggles the mind to think of what 120 training hours of real estate brokerage looks like. Or do they mean something along the lines of “on the job training” in a real estate brokerage company?

Anyway, as soon as we get hold of clarifications regarding Section 31 of the RESA Law IRR, we will post these online to help people who are asking about the CPE requirements for real estate salespersons.

RESAR Online Review for Real Estate Brokers

2 Responses to “RESA Law IRR and CPE Requirement for Salespersons”

  1. on 18 Aug 2011 at 8:15 pm maya

    There are hundreds of real estate sales people accredited as in house sales force of different real estate developers who have not graduated from college.Some barely have a 2 year college background, why should they be denied of their source of income when the RESA law will be strictly implemented?.Some of these are holding management positions already, because of their expertise from their experience alone. shouldnt this matter?

    [From the Admin] Hi! We are waiting for the PRC to publish in their website Resolution 13, where they clarify what the requirements are for those seeking accreditation as real estate salespersons, but have not earned at least 2 years of college. Thanks!
  2. on 20 Jun 2011 at 12:26 pm jon

    this is definitely a question we need an answer to, ASAP, as the deadline is nearing for DTI accredited agents or those who have been agents for 3 years or more. i wonder why the irr is so vague on these provisions related to sales persons. the distinction between the 12 cpe units and the 120 training hours is lost on many people, good job catching that one. i hope we can get clarifications soon, as the prb-res is nearly impossible to get a hold of for clarifications and enforcement.

    [From the Admin] Hi! Here’s one interpretation. Please remember, however, that this is just ONE interpretation:

    Have you earned at least 2 years of college? You need 12 units. Some people are organizing 12-unit CPE seminars for real estate salespersons who want to be accredited by the PRC.

    You didn’t finish at least 2 years of college? Then you need:

    1. Registration with the DTI/HLURB before July 30, 2009, or

    2. At least 3 years of active practice as of July 30, 2009 (plus certification by a licensed broker or a real estate developer that you truly had at least 3 years of active practice)

    And whether you have (1) or (2) above, you also need 120 training hours in real estate brokerage.

    The lesson? Things might be simpler if you had earned at least 2 years of college.

    But again, this is just ONE interpretation.


Comments RSS

Leave a Reply